Target: Undergraduate students (15 minimun & 40 maximum), but graduate students are also welcome
Teaching: 50 hours (classroom + lab + field activities)
Credits: 2 ECTS from University of La Laguna (ULL)
Registration fee: 650 €/student. Fee includes all tuition, 3 field trips, 8 nights’ half-board, shared accommodation (22-30 May) and coffee breaks.
Dates: May 23-29, 2019
Venue: Hotel El Tope, Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife
Organizers: Instituto Volcanológico de Canarias (INVOLCAN), & Universidad de La Laguna (ULL) .
Collaborators: Cabildo Insular de Tenerife (Spain), Parque Científico Tecnológico de Tenerife, INtech Tenerife (Spain) Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, ULPGC (Spain), Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV) – Sezione di Catania (Italy), Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV) – Sezione di Bologna (Italy) , Istituto per il Rilevamento Elettromagnetico dell’Ambiente, IREA-CNR Napoli (Italy), Open University (U.K.), Shizuoka University (Japan), Tokyo Institute of Technology (Japan), Utrecht University (Netherlands), Instituto Geológico y Minero de España, IGME (Spain), Universidad de La Laguna, ULL (Spain), Instituto Tecnológico y de Energías Renovables, ITER (Spain), Ohio University (USA) & Sociedad Volcanológica de España, SVE (Spain)
Course Outline: The increase in world population, particularly in urban areas close to active volcanoes, is constantly raising the level of
volcanic risk worldwide. Volcano Monitoring is one of the key tools for mitigating this risk, alongside an estimation of volcanic hazards. The aim
of this course is to introduce students to the subject of Volcano Monitoring «hands on» by alternating lectures with practical laboratory and
field activities. Lessons will be given by researchers with an international scientific background and first-hand experience of Volcano Monitoring. Monitoring volcanoes is a highly multidisciplinary field. The course topics will cover Seismology (basic theory and analysis of seismo-volcanic events), Geodesy (measurement and modelling of ground deformation), Geochemistry (collection, analysis and interpretation of fluid samples) as well as other topics (thermal imagery, volcano infrasound, methods for eruption forecasting). Field activities include visits to the monitoring networks managed by INVOLCAN, as well as practical demonstrations of geochemical measurements on the field. Furthermore, there will be two field trips to Teide volcano, Las Cañadas caldera and outcrops of volcanic events all around the island. The prerequisites for attending this course are basic skills in Earth Sciences, as well as a basic knowledge of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- Calvari, Sonia, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV), Italy
- Chiodini, Giovanni, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV), Italy
- Di Paolo, Federico, Instituto Volcanológico de Canarias (INVOLCAN), Spain
- D’Auria, Luca, Instituto Volcanológico de Canarias (INVOLCAN), Spain
- Hernández, Pedro A., Instituto Volcanológico de Canarias (INVOLCAN), Spain
- Mori, Toshiya, The University of Tokyo, Japan
- Nogami, Kenji, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
- Padrón, Eleazar, Instituto Volcanológico de Canarias (INVOLCAN), Spain
- Pankhurst, Matthew James, Instituto Tecnológico y de Energías Renovables (ITER), Spain
- Pérez, Nemesio M., Instituto Volcanológico de Canarias (INVOLCAN), Spain
- Rymer, Hazel, Open University, United Kingdom
- Soubestre, Jean, Instituto Volcanológico de Canarias (INVOLCAN), Spain
- Tizzani, Pietro, Istituto per il Rilevamento Elettromagnetico dell’Ambiente (IREA-CNR), Napoli, Italy
- Van Bergen, Manfred, Universiteit Utrecht, Netherlands
Registration fee and stipulations
Applications are still open for the 2019 TENERIFE INTERNATIONAL TRAINING COURSE ON VOLCANO MONITORING. By the time being, 33 people, from Cabo Verde, Colombia, Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain, USA and Venezuela, had registered to attend this course; therefore, 6 places are still available for this course. The week-long course costs 650 € (EUROS) per student. The course will take place from 23-29 May. Students from abroad are asked to arrive in Tenerife on 22 May ready for a 9 am start the next day. The course finishes at 18:00 on 29th May. You must be available in Tenerife for the full period stipulated, and attend and participate throughout to qualify for your credits at the end of the week.
Registration fee includes:
- All tuition and field trips
- 8 nights’ shared, half board accommodation (breakfast and evening meal, except on arrival on May 22nd: evening meal only if arriving by 18:00 and departure on May 30: breakfast only)
- Workplace liability cover and insurance (for incidents or accidents related to the course)
- Coffee breaks
Registration fee does NOT include:
- Flights to/from Tenerife. How to get to Tenerife
- Transfers to/from the hotel and the airport on arrival and departure. You can fly to either of the two airports in Tenerife – both are well connected by bus or taxi. The North airport (Rodeos) is about 20 minutes from Puerto de la Cruz, and the South airport (Reina Sofía) is about 1 hour and 20 minutes away.
- Health insurance – you must bring your EHIC card (if travelling from the EU) or other medical insurance in case you need attention for any personal health issues
The organization will offer scholarships to attend this training course. The INVOLCAN scholarships (900€) will cover the registration fee (650 €) plus a stipend of 250 € towards flights and/or other incidentals (1 for every 20 places booked). The ULL scholarships are promoted by ULL and INVOLCAN and will be offered to ULL students, covering 50% of the registration fee (325€). Housing will not be offered to ULL students.
In order to apply for a ULL scholarship, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and write 2019 VM ULL Scholar in the subject line of your application. Please send a cover letter outlining why you deserve a ULL Scholarship and an academic CV to support your application.
In order to apply for a INVOLCAN scholarship, please send an email to email@example.com and write 2019 VM INVOLCAN Scholar in the subject line of your application. Please send a cover letter outlining why you deserve a INVOLCAN Scholarship and an academic CV to support your application.
- Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and we have a maximum of just 40 places available. Payment in full is required to book, and your place will not be confirmed until your payment has cleared.
- Fee includes all tuition, field trips, 8 nights’ half-board, shared accommodation (22-30 May) and coffee breaks. You may, of course, leave after 18:00 hours on 29 May if you prefer, but no reduction will be made on the inscription price if you stay one less night. Supper will be included on 22 May for those arriving at the hotel by 18:00 hours.
- The website of INVOLCAN, organizer of this course, will record how many places are taken/left available.
- Full payment must be done by bank transfer to:Account Number:
IBAN: ES35 0049 0275 1228 1085 0149
Banco de Santander
Branch’s Bank Office Address:
C/ Herradores 47, La Laguna. Tenerife, Spain
The subject of the payment must state clearly Volcano Monitoring Registration Fee.
Please send a copy of the bank transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to check your payment.